Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Social Studies and Mike

So i guess i forgot to make a post for last week because I was straight up confused. I'm used to having presenters come to the class and talk to us and this week we just had Mike (best class ever). So far we have been learning a lot about ICT and how we can incorperate it into the classroom. I have also learned some positives from it and some benifits from it.

The main thing I have learned so far from this class is that a little goes a long way. What I mean by this is that there is a lot out there and a lot of websites and wikis to choose from. My advice to all teachers is try a bunch of them and pick one. Do not use a different website for each class because you will drive yourself mad alone with all the different passwords and user names. When I get my classroom (I hope by next year) I will use this blogging style because I find it super useful to connect with everyone in class. I will have the students all long into probably just one website so it is easier for me. If they have to create a new account so what, they are young they can remember everything.

I am still a little bit sketchy about the use of technology in the classroom. Although Mike is right we can't just ignore it because it won't go away. We need to find a way to use it and inccoperate it in the classroom and I will do my best to do so. I will also put a post up for this week on sunday if anyone is confused.

One last thing, I will never let cellphones in my classroom!

2 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with the no cell phones in my classroom. There are to many distractions as it is, the students don't need another one!
    To me, it's so hard to find that balance between what is useful and effective in the classroom and what is too much for a teacher or students to handle. I think you're right about picking one or two pieces of technology to use in your classroom. This way the students are exposed to one part of technology and if they have four other classes, maybe they will have a chance to use four other technology-based tools.

    I also enjoy this blogging style, and I think it really allows a teacher to be able to assess students' understanding. They can also do their own research and figure out things for themselves.

    That's all I have to say for now!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree with the comments about being selective when utilizing technology. It is truly time consuming to examine an application or piece of software. Taking advice from other teachers on what is good can really save you some time.

    However, I'm uncertain about the policy of cell phone use within the classroom. I agree with how disruptive they can be but I don't know how long we can ignore them. Cell phones are increasingly more prevalent and they are becoming capable of doing as much as a computer.

    I don't have a perfect solution for cell phone use but I know that they will be a large part of our classroom in the near future

    ReplyDelete