Sunday, February 21, 2010

Aboriginal Learning Log

So in our Native Studies class we asked are to do a final learning log in a different way rather than an essay. Sherry Peden asked us to present our thoughts and ideas in a different form such as a poem, poster, rap, and many other ways. I am not really good with making posters or really any artsy kind of stuff. So, my good buddy Ryan Zadorozny told me about blogging it and that's exactly what I'm going to do. Students are constantly using the Internet so why not get in touch with them through blogging. The question that Sherry asked to answer for this learning log was "If she was to meet us in five years, what would we remember from class?"

To be honest right when she presentedthis question to the class it was a no brainer. When Kevin Tacan came into our class it made a world of difference to me. I have a minor in native studies and throughout my first three years in my undergrad degree not once did one of my professors bring in an Aboriginal elder to talk to us. Sure they talked about elders a lot in the classroom and we discussed their importance in the Aboriginal societies. Not once did one of my profs bring one in to talk about spirituality, self-government, or Aborignal history.

Hopefully in five years I will have the opportunity to bring an elder in to the classroom because they are so useful in many different aspects. I plan on teaching in either Portage la Prairie, Winnipeg, or northern Manitoba. With these places in mind I plan on having a fairly high Aboriginal population in my classroom. An elder can reach the students on so many different levels and help with social and personal problems. It would be just awesome if I could incorporate an elder into my classroom culture because everyone would benefit from them.

I will also remember the concept of the sharing circle and how Sherry got us to incorporate Aboriginal perspective into a lesson plan. At the start it seemed like a really tough task but in the end it was actually pretty easy to do. Aime and I did our unit plan on grade 10 social studies, specifically food production. There is an abundant amount of resources out there on Aboriginal food sustainability and we also Incorporated the First Nation Food health guide into our lesson. I believe by adding Aboriginal content into our lesson plans we will reach students on a personal level. It also got me to think that if there are other students with different cultural and ethnic backgrounds as teachers we should try and teach them as well.

This class has given me a lot to think about. In five years I hope I remember everything I learned in this class but I know that won't happen. I will remember the importance of the elders in the classroom and also the importance of incorporating different perspectives in the classroom. Wow did our final semester ever fly bye! I can't wait to get out and teach and hopefully to get a job but I wouldn't mind a year off to travel either.

Thanks for reading my blog and I can't believe Canada lost to the States. Brutal!

Also Sherry mentioned Don Burnstick in class and he is so funny. Check him out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JKuTjpfSxQ

2 comments:

  1. Great Points! I agree with much of what you said about aboriginal people. I am also in this class and many of the things that you said you were going to remember also had a lasting effect on me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree with you Skinny. Its good for all of us to be in a class liek Aboriginal Studies so we get another perspective of Aborginal people and ways to add their culture into our lessons. I feel we have all learned a lot from thatc lass and its beneficial to us teaching down the road. Especially with the rise of Aboriginals in Manitoba

    ReplyDelete